Hurbert Burda Media (HBM) is one of largest media companies in Germany, based in Offenburg, Munich and Hamburg. 10 300 employees have generated external sales of € 2.5 Billion in 2014. € 1.3 Billion were accounted for “Digital brands national”, € 649 Million for “Media brands national”, € 330 Million for “Media brands international”, and € 158 for “Print”.
According to their 2014 financial report, HBM considers itself an internationally operating media company providing products strongly built on their users’ needs. HBM claims a leading position in the media industry by successfully selling more than 500 media products to other countries than Germany, too.
On their way towards a consumer-oriented company, HBM is collecting a variety of information concerning the behaviour of their 27 Million unique users. More than 100 domains are attached to the HBM network, including magazines such as Playboy and Chip and social networking platforms like ElitePartner.de and Xing:
HBM Big Data Network: more than 100 domains attached.
HBM services and the occurring traffic are generating vast amounts of data:
- 3 Terabyte of raw data per month
- 35 Billion events per year
- 3 Billion events per month
- 779 Million active cookies/year
- 711 Million page views during November 2014
- Up to110 Million unique cookies per month
- 400 Million usage data profiles saved
- 114 Million unique users per month
- ~27 Mio. usage data profiles
HBM is harnessing its Big Data to come up with several added value services:
To create value from Big Data it is necessary to employ and coordinate skilled professionals and latest technologies:
You may remember my previous articles on Shazam, Ray Ban and Netflix. Those three Creative Industries related companies display a common denominator: distinctive customer orientation built on predictive analytics. HBM is providing us with the background and mechanisms in taking advantage of Big Data. A data-based customer personalization requires an extensive management of customer experiences on all available digital channels. IT-solutions such as predictive analytics is the state-of-the-art tool for decision makers to develop promising Big Data projects.
- Gerhard Thomas: „Big Data bei Hubert Media“, Münchner Kreis: Fachkonferenz „Medienindustrie neu interpretiert“, 12.5.15.
- Hubert Burda Medien Holding Kommanditgesellschaft: Konzernabschluss 2014.